Sure, you could take the love of your life out to a romantic dinner. Yes, you could buy her flowers. Chocolates and teddy bears are never a bad idea. But this Valentine's Day you're looking to sweep her off her feet with something special, and luckily for you, the New Hampshire Division of Travel and Tourism Development has some great ideas that take full advantage of the Granite State's unique characteristics.
Outdoor Adventure: For those with active romance in mind, here are some fun ideas:
- Valentine’s Sleigh Ride– If you’d like to spend a romantic evening with your Valentine, then there is no better way than a sleigh ride for two. On Saturday, February 11, the horse-drawn sleigh at Bear Tree Cabins will take you through a scenic winter wonderland. Following the ride you can satisfy your hunger with some cocktails and appetizers at The Carriage House. Visitors who would like to make a weekend out of it can arrange for the Romance Package including lodging. http://www.beartreecabins.com Other properties offering horse-drawn sleigh rides include Nestlebrook Estate and Resort in Jackson, Belgian Acres Bed & Breakfast in Tilton, Charmingfare Farm in Candia, and Franconia Inn in Franconia.
- Snowshoeing with your Valentine – Enjoy this year’s Valentine’s Day with your loved one on a peaceful snowshoe walk through the beautiful, snowy forest of Beaver Brook, Friday, Feb. 10. The hike ends with a bonfire and delicious beverages and deserts. www.Beaverbrook.org/calendar Or, on Saturday, February 18th, Great Glen Trails offers Valentines the chance to enjoy nature at its finest under the stars, listen for owl calling and explore a winter wonderland. Hikers will use their senses (no flashlights) and the light of the moon to guide them. http://greatglentrails.com/winter/family-programs/moonlit-snowshoe-tours/
- Snowmobiling – Some couples may prefer to get their motors running this Valentine’s Day – over the hills and through the woods of New Hampshire’s snowmobile trails. Then after a long day on the trails, Tall Timber Lodge in Pittsburg awaits couples with its cozy lakeshore log cabins. And the Rainbow Grill and Tavern offers award-winning North Woods fine dining in a rustic and casual atmosphere. Check out the Snowmobile Highway, a Grand Adventure brought to you by New Hampshire Grand. http://www.nhgrand.com/certified-grand-adventures/snowmobile-highway.aspx
- Ziplining – How about sharing a thrill 1,000 feet through tree tops with your Valentine? New Hampshire has several ziplining outfits, including: Alpine Adventures – Located in the beautiful White Mountains of NH near Loon Mountain, Alpine Adventures offers zipline canopy tours with 2 courses to choose from, with 14 total ziplines, ropes bridges and plenty of exhileration. http://www.alpinezipline.com/adventure-tours/zipline-canopy-tour/. Bretton Woods Canopy Tour – This ziplining tour descends over 1,000 feet of elevation and takes nature-lovers and thrill-seekers across a series of tree-top zip lines. http://brettonwoods.com/activities/canopy_tour/overview. For a complete list of all New Hampshire ziplining locations, visit: http://www.ziplinerider.com/New_Hampshire_Ziplines.html
- Dog-Sledding – Gaining more popularity every day in New Hampshire is dog-sledding. Snuggle up with your sweetie for a romantic ride for two behind a team of amazing sled dogs. New Hampshire has three dog-sledding outfits: Barking Brook Sled Dog Adventures, LLC, Bridgewater – Visitors can enjoy a beautiful trip into the woods of the White Mountains Region behind a team of Siberian Huskies. The dogs are well trained and anxious to go out on the trails. Muddy Paw Sled Dog Sled Dog Kennel, Jefferson – As the premier dogsled touring operator in New England, this kennel offers a variety of dogsled rides in NH ranging from 2 - 50 miles, including dogsledding overnight trips. Dog Sled Excursions at Waterville Valley Resort – The “Snow Dogz” program offers a choice of two excursions that run every Friday and Saturday evening through the end of March. Guests have the opportunity to experience the unique tours by moonlight or headlight.
- Cross-Country Skiing – Many couples like to work out together, and traversing New Hampshire’s beautiful winter landscape on skis is a great way to do that. Cross country ski networks range from a few kilometers across snow-covered golf courses to 100+ kilometer world class trail networks. Many cross country centers also offer snowshoeing. http://www.xcskinh.com/
- Chairlift Speed Dating, Jackson – On Saturday, February 11, 2012. All you have to do is hop on the chair lift for a ten minute ride and you can get the chance to meet your Valentine! The event is from 2-4pm; sign up begins at 12:30pm and is free with a purchase of a lift ticket. http://blackmt.com/
- Chocolate & Martini Tour: They seem to go together like cashmere and pearls. Suggestions range from a Stoli and Kahlua martini at Roosevelt’s Lounge inside the Wentworth by the Sea in New Castle to Belgian chocolate bonbons at Unbridled Chocolates in Marlborough. http://www.visitnh.gov/planning-and-travel-tools/itineraries/tasty-new-hampshire.aspx
A romantic interlude: Lodging and romance packages abound throughout the state. Here are some highlights:
- Inns & Spa at Mill Falls, Meredith – Nestled on the shore of Lake Winnipesaukee, the Inns & Spa at Mill Falls offer 156 designer decorated rooms, most with a fireplace and beautiful lake view. The Inns are a haven for couples seeking romance; in fact Church Landing was voted 3rd Most Romantic Hotel in the U.S. by Trip Advisor, 2011. It also received the 2012 Travelers’ Choice® Award by TripAdvisor® as one of the Top 25 Hotels for Best Relaxation/Spa in the United States. Guests can choose from four fine inns – Bay Point and Church Landing located right on the water, and Mill Falls and Chase House just across the street, all sharing the same spectacular views of the lake and surrounding mountains. http://millfalls.com/index.htm
- Adair Country Inn & Restaurant, Bethlehem – Adair will set couples up for a romantic getaway on Tuesday, February 14th. Two glasses of champagne and home-made chocolate truffles will be waiting upon arrival. Celebrate the night at the Valentine's Day Romance Dinner (the Menu) with live music. Traditional room $299; Fireplace room $359; Deluxe Fireplace room $399. But if the 14th is not convenient, Adair will treat any day in February like Valentine’s Day with the February Romance Getaway package – including 2 nights’ stay in a romantic room of your choice, home-made truffles and glass of champagne upon arrival and more. http://www.adairinn.com/pkg_romance.shtml or call (888/603) 444-2600.
- Stonehurst Manor, North Conway – Experience the beauty of North Conway at Stonehurst Manor, a turn-of-the-century mansion located on the 33 private acres. Celebrate the romantic holiday with the Snow Flake special, $58 per person per night, which includes dinner and breakfast. Available Sunday-Thursday through February 17th. Enjoy a romantic view of the White Mountains while cozying up next to the fire place. Relax in a Jacuzzi after a fun day of skiing, snowshoeing, ice skating (indoors or outdoors), you choose. Or better yet, watch the stars on a peaceful horse-drawn sleigh ride with your Valentine. For more information on package deals visit the Stonehurst Manor’s website: http://www.stonehurstmanor.com/ or call (800) 525-9100
- Glen Oaks Inn, Intervale – Enjoy Winter Romance in the Mountains including two nights at the Inn, gourmet dinner for two, horse drawn Austrian sleigh ride, hearty country breakfast each morning, two passes to Great Glen Trails for a day of cross-country skiing, snowshoeing or tubing. www.glenoaksinn.com
- Christmas Farm Inn in Jackson. Romance package includes breakfast and candlelight dinner each evening. Enjoy Swedish massages at the Carriage House Spa, champagne and handmade chocolates back in your room. www.christmasfarminn.com
They say “love is grand” so why not celebrate the holiday of love at one of New Hampshire’s magnificent grand hotels?
- Omni Mount Washington Resort, Bretton Woods – Take a few days to get away to Omni Mount Washington Resort and experience the beauty surrounding New Hampshire’s White Mountains. Enjoy the Jacuzzis, and warm up by the fireplace after a long day of skiing or snowboarding on one of the 101 trails and glades that the Omni has to offer. For the ultimate romantic getaway, the Omni Resort brings Cupid to you. The Ooh Là Là Romance package includes sparkling wine, macaroons, petit fours and more. http://www.omnihotels.com/
- Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa, Whitefield – Located in the center of the White Mountains, the Mountain View Grand combines elegance with comfort, making it one of the grandest hotels in New England. Enjoy a day of skiing, sledding, dog sledding, snowmobiling and more. Let your “inner romantic” take your honey ice skating on a mountain top setting with lights glimmering and hot cider and chocolate to warm you up. After a long day outside, cozy up and watch your favorite movie in the custom built, in-house movie theatre. The Mountain View Grand offers various romance packages for the upcoming holiday such as the "Just The Two Of Us" spa getaway. http://www.mountainviewgrand.com/
- Wentworth by the Sea Hotel & Spa, Portsmouth – Located in one of the “18 coolest towns in America” (Men’s Journal), Wentworth Hotel & Spa is a must visit Visitors can visit some of the Portsmouth’s distinctive boutiques and shops for some tax-free shopping. This Valentine’s day enjoy a delicious four course dinner and some champagne at the Valentine’s Day dinner. Unwind at the indoor pool or resort spa. For more information on rooms and package offers, visit: http://www.wentworth.com/
For more information, visit: www.visitnh.gov.