5 Things: What's Open and Closed Today?
Happy Veterans Day, Bedford.
1. Closed for Veteran's Day. Most stores and restaurants are open in town today but, according to the Bedford town website, the Bedford Town Offices and Public Library will be closed this Monday, Nov. 12. All Bedford schools are also closed for the holiday.
2. Meetinghouse Road Closure. The intersection of Meetinghouse Road and Gault Road is closed to all traffic through Saturday, Nov. 17 (see attached PDF for detour information). Paving is also taking place on Donald Street and several other local roads and streets this week and next. For more details, click here.
3. The weatherman says ... According to Weather.com, this weekend's warming trend continues today as temperatures are expected to increase to the high 60s for the holiday with a 10-percent chance of rain. The low tonight is 56 degrees with a 40-percent chance of rain.
4. Ski and Skate Sale. The Bedford PTG invites you to the its annual Ski & Skate sale where you can find big savings on new and used winter sports equipment and apparel. This year's event takes place this Saturday, Nov. 17, from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m, in the Bedfod High School gymnasium. Mark your calendar to join local vendors bringing top name brand equipment both new and used, along with our tremendous consignment inventory of ski and boarding equipment, skates, and winter apparel and outfit your entire family for the upcoming season! Whether you are in the market for new equipment or simply want to sell your own, this sale is for you. Experts will be available to help fit the right ski, board, and boots to your ability! So grab a treat from our bake sale, shop this incredible sale event, and enter our raffle for a chance to win amazing prizes such as lift tickets, ski equipment, apparel, and so much more. Visit http://www.bedfordptg.org for additional sale details and learn how to include your own equipment in the sale to make room for new gear. Drop-off equipment for consignment on Friday, Nov. 16, from 5-8 p.m.
5. Local non-profit collecting hygiene kits for Sandy victims. In the past decade, the Bedford family foundation, Color My World has donated over $33,000 in goods to families affected by the Indonesian Tsunami, Hurricane Katrina, Kate Earthquakes in Haiti, China, Chile and aid for Africa. Color My World has also distributed over $2,000 locally to projects and families in need in New Hampshire supporting Angie's Shelter and New Horizons in Manchester. Currently the foundation is shipping hygiene kits to help people affected by Sandy. Color My World is accepting part or complete Hygiene Kits consisting of:
- 4 Toothbrushes
- 2 Bar of Soap
- 2 Hand Towel
- 1 Tube of Toothpaste
- 2 Combs
- Packed in a 1 gallon zip lock bag
The organization is in major need of toothbrushes and toothpaste.
The project will runs through this Thursday, Nov. 15. Drop off locations include the Bedford Library, YMCA Goffstown, YMCA Manchester, Trinity High School, Bedford Positively at the Bullock Agency, 11 Meetinghouse Road in Bedford (a box will be placed outdoors for “drive-by drop-off” Saturday, Nov. 3 through Nov. 15), Girl Scouts of America Green and White Mountains. If you see the Model T with Bedford Positively signs and want to drop something there, you are more than welcome to do that as well.
Color My World Foundation of Bedford is a non-profit 501(c)3, tax deductible organization operated solely by The Hughes Family of Bedford, NH. More information can be found at www.colormyworldkids.org